Monday, January 17, 2011

What shall I call you?

For Word and Question 8

“Words offer the means to meaning” – V

For items it’s rather simple –
Communication’s plain
To converse with one another-
The point of an object’s name

I could tell you all of patterns
Of argyle, houndstooth, and plaid
Or speak of types of slatterns
(But I shan’t make the ladies mad)

And by the names employéd there
My meaning would be clear
But is’t the same of persons fair?
That, I’ll address here

For people ‘tis more complex
The meaning of a name
Tied to their race, creed , and sex
Or that from whence they came

Names beget some power
I can call the person here
I can demand of them attention
Perhaps I’ll bend their ear

I can speak of them to others
For the base uses still apply
Whether complaining to their mothers
Or just chatting with the guys

The rose may yet still smell as sweet
My lass may still look as dear
But names permit us the added treat
To make our meanings clear

(Highlight to view)
Word: houndstooth
Question: What's in a name?

2 comments:

  1. J -- Not bad at all! (I especially liked the second stanza.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    That was my word! =)

    I like the rhetorical feel of this poem, J, and the way you leisurely build up your argument. The last stanza would be the concise answer, I guess, but what gives it its real power is build up.

    ReplyDelete