Money, lies, sex, beauty,
They run our society
People of a baser instinct
Putting impulse before what they think
Freedom is our intellectual yen
Yet often we sound like whiny children
We decry we can do as we desire
Freedom is our patriotic fire
We can kill the unborn, they have no voice
Their inconvenient, and it’s our choice
Morals are nothing to fret about
They’re antiquated and on their way out
Our society exists because we used to know right from wrong
If we forget that our demise may not take long
Remember that truth is not relative
Remember that right is imperative
Remember that true love saves all
Remember that hate builds a wall
One must do the necessary good
Fight the good fight because one should
All that is needed for evil to succeed
Is for good men to sit by and take no heed
Eye for an eye will make the world blind
But apathy will kill us in far less time.
--------------------
I've had this poem for a while, now, and still find it far too applicable to our world for my liking. However, having just been to a very large (read: over 800 people) Right to Life banquet and having listened to Mr. Huckabee speak about the tragedy of a society that does nothing to defend those who are disrespected and even persecuted simply for being different in some manner, whether race, gender, age, or anything else, I felt that I really needed to post this particular poem. The rhyme scheme isn't perfect, some of the language could be edited to make it flow more smoothly, but I fear I might lose some of the message in editing, and this is a case where I don't feel that is an acceptable sacrifice. It is a tragedy when we must permit the killing of others in order to feel like we are truly free, when we have educated ourselves so well that we can rationalize our way out of any moral obligation and sooth our consciences in the refuge of countless "not-my-problem" or "who-am-I-to-judge" justifications. I can only pray for the continued strength to speak up against such treatment and hope, too, that I am never forced to discover first hand what it is like to be the one against whom such prejudices are directed.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment